Centrifuges are useful in that they can continuously separate liquids from solids, and have become an essential component of waste water facilities, oil and gas industries, tank cleaning, and rendering just to name a few. But just like any other piece of equipment, centrifuges can be easily be damaged if not run properly and maintained correctly.
Make sure you give your centrifuge some love by learning from the experience of others and by following these repair and maintenance tips.
How can a centrifuge be damaged?
- Improper care and lubrication of a centrifuge may lead to damaging critical parts, resulting in malfunction of the unit.
- Improper compatibility of chemicals may lead to corrosion on the screw conveyor or other components.
- Improper cleaning of the unit may also lead to early failure of the unit.
- Sensors, gaskets, seals, and wiring can become damaged if flooded with material.
What to do to keep a centrifuge working properly?
There are several important cleaning and safety procedures that should be used to ensure a centrifuge works properly.
- Wash/ flush out the centrifuge between shits or when the unit will be shut down for longer periods of time.
- Routinely lubricate bearings in the frequency and volume as instructed by the centrifuge manufacture.
- Maintain a consistent solids feed to the centrifuge whenever possible and adjust your feed rate and bowl speed accordingly.
In addition to cleaning the centrifuge, you should also check for residue and corrosion on all parts of the centrifuge regularly.
Why schedule regular maintenance?
Scheduling regular preventive maintenance for your centrifuge is important since it increases the durability and reliability of the unit. In addition, regular preventive maintenance of the units helps to ensure consistent results and reliable performance.
Regular maintenance includes inspection of the physical condition, inspection of the electrical condition, cleaning, and testing of the centrifuge.
Lastly, regular preventive maintenance will not only prevent potential damage to the unit, but it can also help recognize minor damage that already has taken place and allow you to remedy the issue proactively.
Centrifuges should undergo daily inspection. Here are some essential parts and functions to check for:
- Visually check external bolts for looseness and guards and seals for cracking or wear
- Check for leaks at discharge piping
- Observe noise and vibration levels on the panel
- Proper grease and fluid levels
Operators should perform a weekly maintenance on the centrifuge units. We recommended to refer to your operations and maintenance manual for information on the recommended weekly maintenance tasks involving the following:
- Grease Internal Bearings
- Check Belt Tension
- Check Lubricant & Oil Levels
Here are a few of the suggested centrifuge maintenance items to perform monthly:
- Check for abnormal vibrations
- Check for wear or damage of wiring and electrical components.
- Check solids and liquid discharge areas for wear and obstruction
- Ensure you conduct a function check to verify the operation of interlocks and system controls.
- Check the PLC battery (if any)
- Other centrifuge wear components such as feed and discharge nozzles and tiles should also be inspected and replaced if needed.
How to repair a faulty centrifuge unit?
Rotating Solutions’ Repair and Maintenance Division provides a team of technicians; prepared to repair any centrifuge on the market, be it yours or the industry’s. Our master centrifuge mechanics and technicians custom build, refurbish or reconstitute industrial machinery and its components.
Here are some of the crucial steps our team follows when repairing centrifuge units.
Assembly components received with worn coatings are media blasted to original base metal without damaging their passive layer. Worn components required to be blasted will be recoated towards final assembly with original coating or equivalent.
Equipment smaller internal and external parts are cleaned via parts washer having all oil, grease, and residual product removed prior to detailed inspection.
Larger components of the assembly are cleaned prior to detailed inspection.
Centrifuge Unit Inspections
Once the cleaning process is complete a centrifuge inspection begins. Machinery components are measured on precision surfaces with calibrated measurement tools. Any components outside of OEM tolerances are flagged to identify areas in need of correction.
Screw Conveyor Repair
Excessive wear to the screw conveyor can diminish the solids capture rate. Our welding division is equipped to execute conveyor re-flighting, conveyor under cutting and tiling, re-tiling, hard surfacing, conveyor hub build up, and performing conveyor modifications.
The screw conveyor is balanced in real-time, following a two-plane dynamic balancing process. Then the bowl is balanced separately using the same process.
THe conveyor is installed into the bowl, pillow block assembly is completed, and gearbox is installed and indicated. The reassembly process includes visual inspection, tolerance checks, and run out of the unit. We want to make sure your machine is ready to hit the field as soon as you receive it back to your facility!
Where can I get mobile and repair maintenance service assistance?
We now are able bring our Repair and Maintenance solutions on the road, in our customers' shops and at their job sites.
Rotating Solutions was founded in 2007, and since day one, our vision was to provide a one-stop destination for industrial, refinery, wastewater management, and oilfield solutions, services and rental offerings. Presently, we are a leading provider of equipment and support to industrial refining zones, major operators, independent operators, service companies, rental tool companies, contractors, drilling companies, workover companies, engineering companies, completion companies, and many more.
RSI Rental Solutions, a division of Rotating Solutions Inc., focuses primarily on industrial service rentals for the petrochemical markets, offering superior service while meeting all of your rental needs.
With a focus on 2 & 3 phase centrifuge packages, manway cannons, tank sweeps, vacuum systems, decontaminator units and diesel pressure washers, we are dedicated to being your one-stop shop, and will work with you and your team to find the solutions that meet your business’s needs, including providing custom equipment and mobile repair and maintenance solutions.